Writing a good academic essay always is a lengthy process that requires adhering to clear rules and the ability to adapt skills to them. Sometimes a student begins to experience difficulties from the first steps of work. In addition to the need for determining the topic of the future text, one of the main tasks is drawing up a clear work plan that corresponds to all the instructions of the supervisor. If you ignore these initial steps, the result may be not as successful as expected.
Nevertheless, do not be afraid to start this task. The main task of this article is offering help with getting to know the various issues. We will describe in detail all aspects of the essay format. Moreover, in any case, QuickEssay writers will advise how to solve the necessary tasks.
At first, it might seem that following different formats limits the freedom of creativity. However, the space for diverse artistic pieces and the academic environment should be distinguished. For this reason, adherence to the most common styles, including AMA, MLA or APA, will help you put your papers in order and protect against plagiarism.
After thorough work with writing an essay, formatting is far from the easiest and most insignificant part. After spending a lot of effort on creating a high-quality text, it will be very not good to worsen the overall impression of defects.
At first, it may seem that editing is a very hard process that requires a huge amount of time and familiarization with tons of different rules. But it is false! Setting up a file and creating a competent and concise header is the initial stage of work. Then you should go to work with the main content of the paper.
What is an Essay Format?
When the writing of an academic paper is completed and all the necessary points are disclosed, you can proceed with formatting your essay. This stage covers a wide range of manuals that relate to the organization of the written text. It applies to the following parts of the work:
- title page;
- basic structure;
First of all, this phenomenon concerns the traditional division of essays into an introduction, main part, and conclusions. However, various styles such as APA or Chicago are a great essay format example. You should be completely responsible for the editing process, since this point of work is associated with the success of the final result no less than all the others.
- Professional writers
- Free revisions period
How to Format an Essay Step by Step
Actually, the paper formatting process can be divided into several steps, each of which focuses on working with a certain part of what is written and requires compliance with its own specifics.
Title Page Writing
- Use double-spacing
- 12 font of Times New Roman is alright
- Indicate the name of your institution, write the title of your paper underneath.
- After that, write your name, the instructor’s name, the course day and number, and the due date.
Formatting Your First Page
The first page of your paper should look like that:
- The header of your essay should be in the right-hand corner half an inch below the top edge of the paper. You do this for each page except the works cited.
- Your heading is placed in the upper left-hand corner of your paper
- Center the title of your essay an inch below the top edge.
- Write your text under the title. Other headings usually differ in formatting style and font size.
Structure of Your Future Essay
The correct presentation of this aspect and strict adherence to each point is the key to writing good academic papers. First of all, your task is to draw up a detailed, but at the same time concise plan, highlighting all the main points that you will later reveal.
After that, check the connection between the argumentation and this scheme. In addition, you can verify that the narrative is complete. Next, let’s take a look at the main elements of the essay structure that were mentioned earlier.
- Introduction. Here you need to lay the foundation for a future essay. It is this component that sets the pace of the workflow and makes a first impression on the audience. The first step in work is to choose a topic, as well as determine its role and impact on society and world development. Then you need to highlight the key concepts and paint each of them. Next, you can begin a summary of your paper. After finishing work with other parts of the essay, re-read the introduction and make sure that it correctly illustrates everything that is described in the following paragraphs.
- The main body. This part is a space for presenting a clear argumentation that justifies the thesis highlighted earlier. Do not forget about the plan thought out in advance and check compliance with the underlined points throughout the entire workflow. The main part consists of several sections that are interconnected and illustrate one or another idea. Reinforcement with various examples and materials from papers of other researchers will make your work better and contribute to building a good reputation.
- Conclusion. This aspect is the final component of writing an essay. Here you need to summarize and formulate solutions to the issues and tasks that you outlined in the previous sections. A smooth and harmonious narrative is a key element of the academic essay format. Even the smallest pieces of work should be interconnected and refer to the main elements that are highlighted in each part. Thanks to this, your story will develop in a correct and logical sequence.
You need to remember about in-text citations. When you cite someone`s work, you place the parentheses between the last quotation mark and period. Indicate the page number or the Author’s name and his work between the parentheses and before the full stop.
On the last page, you list your sources in alphabetical order. You indicate the last name of the author before his first name. Write the title, and after that, all the publishing information. Consider the formatting style required by your professor. Whether it is APA, MLA, or other, the requirements can be different. You should check the style guide before you start writing.
MLA VS APA Format: How to Stop Confusing Them
There are different ways to format essay. All of them have their own characteristics and require a number of clear rules. At first glance, they may seem too unfamiliar and, therefore, complex. Despite this, learning how to use a variety of formats is not an impossible task. Thanks to this, you can develop in writing papers and improve the acquired opportunities.
Let’s look at the features of working with MLA and APA, which are some of the most common styles. According to their rules, you will format your essay.
What is the MLA Format for an Essay?
This way of introducing various quotes into academic papers was introduced by the Modern Language Association. The main area of distribution of it is any humanitarian discipline that studies literary phenomena, culture, languages and other aspects.
Any style requires quality and careful work. With the correct and consistent presentation of information about the materials with which you worked during the study, your result will look more respectable. It is also an indicator of your responsibility and interest in studying this area.
The MLA style means using various guides for structured and proper presentation of different types of sources. This essay format works with materials such as scientific journals, huge volumes, and electronic resources. Nowadays, the foundations that underpin students and other academic subjects, are presented in the 8th Edition of the MLA Handbook for Writers of the Research Papers. The focus of attention is shifting from the design of cited materials to their values for this study.
A wide range of professors, publications, and scientists work with this type of formatting. However, each institution has its own requirements, which relate to the style of editing quotes. Moreover, some of them may have their own unique set of rules, which is not used anywhere else. For this reason, you need to familiarize yourself with the task in detail, paying particular attention to this aspect.
How to Write an Essay in APA Format?
This term is used to refer to another formatting style that was developed by the American Psychological Association. Its use implies the indication of information about the author and the publication of the source that you cite. In addition to quoting and bibliography, APA style contains guides for working with the paper itself.
Most often, representatives of social disciplines resort to using this format. Despite this fact, other areas of science can improve their effectiveness by working with this style.
In fact, the basic structure of this format actually contains the same general recommendations as to the MLA scheme. However, sometimes the requirements of your mentor may have some discrepancies with the mentioned standards.
Do You Need Expert Writing Help?
In addition to the styles that were described above, there are a large number of schemes that are used in writing a variety of research papers. You should be attentive to the requirements of each of them since the use of quoted materials increases the quality of your work and significantly affects the result. Indication of information about the source and its author, show the degree and history of the development of the area that you are studying. Remember that the use of plagiarism entails serious and serious consequences that can change the course of your activity.
In addition to avoiding this academic disruption, the presence of citations will increase the likelihood of success and distribution of your paper in the scientific community. The correct design of quotes is the rationale for the ideas presented and proof of your professionalism. Many students have difficulty working with quotes. However, it is from this process that the final result can radically change.
At the end of this article, let me once again emphasize the importance of careful and responsible work with essay format. If you spend a sufficient amount of time and effort on this task, your work will be of high quality and understandable, which can subsequently bring high results. Don`t forget to read the paper after completing the writing process and remove all possible shortcomings. You should also check the compliance with the requirements.
If you have read all the requirements and consulted with professors and mentors, but work with essay formatting still does not bring the desired results, do not despair. Our QuickEssay.org service is always ready to provide assistance in this task.